I have written an Squidoo lens on the topic of How to Find Retailers. With all the traveling I have done as a sales rep, I got pretty good at finding stores once I visited the area.
Then, of course, what do you do once you find a potential wholesale account?
The Mogul Mom recently published a guest blog on the subject and the tips were great. Let me share the highlights here:
To Do #1: Scout Locations. For your first to do, you’ll be scouting locations. This can be a bit of fun. Think of it as a scavenger hunt meets window shopping.
To Do #2: Do Your Homework. After identifying potential locations, run each through the classic 5Ws and H. These are who, what, when, where, why, and how.
- Who is the store’s buyer?
- What does the buyer want?
- When does the buyer want your type of product?
- Where will the buyer carry your product?
- Why would this buyer want your product?
- How much will the buyer want?
To Do #3: Make Contact. After you’ve identified the buyer, make contact and schedule an appointment.
To Do #4: Prepare Like a Pro. Professionalism will quickly separate you as an appealing wholesaler.
- Be on time
- Bring prepared line sheets
- Provide payment options
To Do #5: Celebrate the Wins. Rejection is inevitable, but repeated effort pays off. Not every meeting with a buyer will result in a new account. However, each win makes any “no” worth it.
The list covers the key points — but if you are interested in more detail, I suggest you check out my eguide: The Complete eGuide for Selling to Gift Shops.
In this value-packed resource, you will find HUNDREDS of practical tips, techniques, stories, and how-to tactics that REMOVE the fear and anxiety from walking into (or contacting) a gift shop and asking a buyer or manager to carry your line.
For example, you will discover all you need to know about:
- WHOLESALE PRICING
- FINDING GIFT RETAILERS
- THE SALES PRESENTATION
- TAKING WHOLESALE ORDERS
- WHOLESALE DELIVERY SYSTEMS
- OFFICE OPERATIONS
- WHOLESALE MARKETING SPECIAL TOPICS
- AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!
But wait, you also receive the following Bonuses:
- Websites for Wholesaling mini eGuide
- Sample Invoice (matched to packing slip)
- Sample Packing Slip (matched to invoice)
- Sample Trade Credit Application
- 2 Sample Sales Flyers
- Sample Consignment Agreement