Now, during pre-holiday season, emailing your customers can jump start sales for you in a big way.
So, I have to ask: Have you started your customer email list campaigns?
First, let me help by starting with a few definitions from Artsy Shark:
- Email – electronic mail that you send from your computer to other people’s computers at specific times with specific messages.
- Marketing – activities you pursue for sharing your creative business and creations to connect with all interested persons with a goal of sales.
- Campaign – A deliberate and intentionally designed series of steps created to maximize your marketing efforts. A single email can be its own campaign or part of a larger multi-media campaign or series of emails created for a laser-focused marketing message.
Even if you are active on social media, it is not a substitute for an active email list. With an email list, you own the list; whereas with social media, the network owns your list.
According to the Academy of Handmade Artists and Supporters:
Another reason you should consider establishing an email mailing list is because email lasts longer than social media. Email subscribers don’t have to be on when you’re on to see your posts which is when posts to social platforms like Twitter and Instagram are most effective.
Don’t rely entirely on social media to connect with your audience. Establish an email list and convert your social audiences into email subscribers so you’ll be sure you’ve always got a way to reach them regardless of their schedule, social media changes, or usage mishaps.
But where do you go from there? How do you get people to sign up for your list?
Andreea Ayers from Launch Grow Joy explains five quick ways to grow your list (Works if you are just starting or if you have an on-going list):
- Offer a Freebie in Exchange for the Email Address – on every page and at every opportunity throughout your site. Decide what has the most value to your visitors, … and give it to them for their email address.
- Offer a Downloadable Guide – and make sure that it is related to the products you offer….
- Run a Contest on your Website – and give away a gift certificate to your online store, or an actual product, in exchange for their email address. ..
- Do a Product Review or Contest with a Blogger – work with bloggers who are in your niche to do a product review, as well as a special contest, for their readers and require them to submit their email address to enter the contest….
- Use a Popup Opt-in App or Plugin – I know that many people hate even thinking about this option, but it’s a great tool to help you grow your email list. … “In one test,” performed by Aweber, “popups drove 1,375% more email captures vs. a sidebar opt-in form.”
Need help getting started? One of the best programs I have seen on getting your email campaigns going is the Artsy Shark Success Guide to Email Marketing for Artists (and other product based businesses!).
Carolyn Edlund and Mckenna Hallett team up to help folks like you to develop a successful email marketing campaigns.
So, what are you waiting for? Check out the experts articles above and start your email list!