One of my favorite (and unique) sales tips and marketing book is ‘Uncensored Sales Strategies’ by Sydney Biddle Barrows. Barrows, known as the Mayflower Madam (owned and operated a paid escort business!) teamed up with famous marketer, Dan Kennedy to create this interesting look at sales strategies.
* Stop! Do not do another thing, do not spend another penny until you have figured out what business you are really in and what your customer really wants.
* So many business owners let themselves be blindfolded when they fall into the ‘my business is different’ trap. That is not just sensory deprivation, that’s opportunity deprivation
* Mother may have warned you that being easy was a bad thing, but I am telling you that being easy is not only a good thing, it can make you good money too.
* Just because a prospect fits into your ideal parameters, they are still not an ideal client if they are difficult or unpleasant to do business with.
* It’s not about you. Your customers couldn’t care less what you like or what you think they should buy. Customers only care about what they want. So if you are interested in getting their money into your pocket, you’d better find out exactly what that is.
* Regular and frequent contact is key. You don’t want to be perceived as the occasional one-night stand.
* You need more than good foreplay to consummate the deal.
* There is no business in which a creative and persuasive guarantee cannot be made. You may just need to dig a little to find it.
* You can satisfy some of the people some of the time and you can satisfy some of the people all of the time, but you can’t satisfy all of the people all of the time (with apologies to Abraham Lincoln).
* They’ve got to perceive it to believe it.
* You really do only get one chance to make a good first impression.
* It’s not just what you do, it’s how you do it.
* When you have put all of the interlocking pieces of the puzzle together correctly, the issue of price evaporates.
Interesting view of the sale process from a woman in a unique business! I hope you found some good tips to help in your business!