Early in my sales rep career, I latched on to any book on sales that I could find. One of my favorites is (still) “The One Minute $ales Person” by Spencer Johnson.
Following are my favorite tips from his book:
* The ‘Wonderful Paradox’; I have more fun and enjoy more financial success when I stop trying to get what I want and start helping other people get what they want
* My selling Purpose is to help people get the good feelings they want about what they bought and about themselves.
* I quickly reduce my stress because I no longer try to get people to do what they don’t want to do. When I sell On Purpose, it’s like swimming downstream.
* Whenever I am successful, I know I have chosen, consciously or unconsciously, to use the positive thoughts that created my success.
* Before I can walk in another person’s shoes, I must first take off my own.
* When I want to remember how to sell, I simply recall how I — and other people — like to buy.
* People don’t buy our services, products, or ideas. They buy how they imagine using them will make them feel.
* After I sell On Purpose, people feel good about what they bought and about themselves. And so the give me invaluable REFERRALS!
* Self-Managed Selling first helps me to realize how good I already am and then it lets me enjoy becoming even better!
* We become what we think about.
* I help myself realize my sales goals by catching myself doing something RIGHT!
* Whenever I see that my sales behavior is unacceptable to me, I take a minute to reprimand my behavior and to praise my self.
* Share It With Others!
I highly recommend you read the Spencer Johnson book: “The One Minute $ales Person“!