Instead of spending money to attract new customers to your website for the holidays, have you considered focusing on increasing your average order size?
Adds-on or upsells to potential orders are great ways to increase order size, but not all ecommerce software offers this special feature. Thankfully, there are other methods for increasing order size.
I read an article recently by Robin Higgins from Abound that listed 22 ways to increase average order size. The original article is focused on brick-n-mortar stores, but there are a few good ideas that translate to the online stores.
Here are my favorites ways to increase average order size
- Label Your Best Sellers. The 3DCart template I use features a widget to display best sellers on your website. If your template does not, I suggest you create a page or widget to show your best sellers.
- Have An Easy Return and Guarantee Policy. If consumers are hesitant to buy, a good guarantee or return policy may clinch the deal for you. Add your policy to your website and your check-out page, if possible.
- Offer A Discount If Customers Spend A Certain Amount. For an online business, the obvious way to implement this option is to extend free shipping on orders over $XX. When we ran our website, we often threw in a free small gift on high volume orders.
- Reward Your Loyal Customers. This is a great way to honor your repeat buyers. Gifts could include a discount coupon or free shipping on their next order. Or you can add them to a special club where you email them pre-launch offers on your newest products and/or at a discount.
- Bundle Relevant Items. It is fairly simple to create special bags, boxes or baskets for holiday shoppers. Gem Berry’s website (which I manage) offers special gift boxes of two to four items. These gifts boxes sell like crazy during the holidays. You can also create special bagged items — which can be less expensive and lighter to ship.
- Have Limited Time Offers. You can offer a special limited sale on certain items throughout the season. Or conduct a pre-sale on new items. Lots of different options on limited sales!
These are just a few of the many ways you can increase the average order size on your website. For more ideas, check out the original article!